Migrating to Drupal 6
Drupal 5 Status
Below is a list of all modules currently installed and their support in releases 6 and 7 of Drupal. We don't necesserily need all these modules after the migration.
Mark must-haves with an 'M'.
M? 6.x 7.x Module
M x - adsense
M x - advuser
M x x captcha
M x - captcha_pack
x x cck
M x - comment_upload
x x contemplate
M x x diff
M (x) - drutex
M x - filterbynodetype
M x - freelinking
M x x geshifilter
M x x image
M x x imagepicker
M x - img_assist
x - import_html
M x - listhandler
M x - mailhandler
M x - mailman_manager
M (x) - mailsave
- - mathfilter
M x x pathauto
M x x path_redirect
M (x) - pearwiki_filter
M x x quote
M x - spam
M x x spamspan
M x - tableofcontents
M x - talk
M x - taxonomy_breadcrumb
M x c/x token
M x - user_mailman_register
M c c user_status
M x x views
- - wiki
M x - wikitools
M : must-have
- : not present
c : present as core feature
x : module released (x) : released but unmaintained
x - Emailfilter - for listhandler
x - JsMath - latex render in browser instead of on-server
Drupal 6 Migration Procedure
- copy 5.x database to 6.x test-database 'drupal_orocos_testing'
- copy 5.x website to 6.x test-site 'test'
- rename settings.php to point to new database and fill in the url_base !!!
- Go to 'test' site and select default themes & disable all modules
- Install Drupal 6.x and remove 5.x copy. Keep settings.php for reference.
- Symlink drupal5 's files to drupal6's files (avoid copy on server due to quota)
- Install plugin manager and administration menu
- Disable pulling forum posts from orocos mailing list, such that original 5.x site does not loose content.
- Upgrade core
- enable & upgrade modules
- apply patches from the drupal 5.x branch on the drupal6 branch. See https://github.com/psoetens/orocos-www
- Upgrade the Drupal theme, according to http://drupal.org/node/132442#signature
- Copy the existing orocos theme into the new drupal installation (sites/all/themes)
- Check results and themes. Special attention checklist:
- Media wiki layout on wiki pages
- Drutex on KDL pages (formulas)
- forum posts, quoting of parent post must work 'recursively'
- Major content pages : front, toolchain, kdl, rtt,...
- table of contents on wiki pages
- Syntax highlighting
- Mailing list pulling and posting
- This may require a test forum setup such that the original 5.x site is not influenced
- Do not enable retrieval of the original orocos-dev/orocos-users !
If this works:
- Log in as use 1 and shut down 5.x site (maintenance mode)
- Maybe we should set a redirect in our .htaccess that doesn't rely on any file currently on the server.
- copy 5.x database again to 'drupal_orocos_backup' have backup of latest changes
- copy 5.x website on-server to 'www2.orocos.org' have backup of latest status
- Edit settings.php of that site to use 'drupal_orocos_backup' DB and url_base of www2.
- Log in as user 1 on www.orocos.org
- select default themes & disable all modules
- Log in as user 1 on 'test' site
- Edit Drupal 6.x 'test' site to use 5.x database 'drupal_orocos' (settings.php)
- Do upgrade of database & modules as above
- When all works, remove 5.x files on 'www' and copy-over 6.x files from 'test'.
- Leave maintenance mode
If the final upgrade fails (it shouldn't, you tested it!), We can:
- Redirect to 'www2' from 'www' (.htaccess)
- Disable maintenance mode on www2
- Keep playing on the 'test' site until 'it works' (test is working on 'drupal_orocos' DB) and copy over any files to 'www'
- Put 'www2' in maintenance and remove the redirect again.
We don't want this ever to happen:
- Remove all files from 'www' and copy all files from 'www2'
- Drop 'drupal_orocos' DB (or rename it for later reference)
- Copy 'drupal_orocos_backup' to 'drupal_orocos'
- Modify settings.php to contain correct DB and url_base