Orocos-Users Digest, Vol 48, Issue 8

Ok, after hours I found by myself the way...

--Configure OmiORB4 ---

On a LAN network is necessary to configure the machine.
Ex.

HostName

server1 (DNS server)
client1
cllent2

On /etc/omniORB4.cfg of every machine search the "Client Configuration"
section and put the line:

InitRef = NameService=corbaname::server1

Now, on server, do:

/etc/init.d/omniorb4-nameserver start (o restart)

the IOR of nameserver is possible to found in
/var/log/omniorb4-nameserver.log

is very long but for the example we say:

IOR:123456

--Corba deployment--
Now is possible to create a component1.xml which look like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE properties SYSTEM "cpf.dtd">
<properties>
<struct name="Component1" type="TaskContext">
<simple name="Server" type="boolean"><value>1</value></simple>
<simple name="UseNamingService"
type="boolean"><value>1</value></simple>
</struct>
</properties>

and launch it with:

cdeployer-gnulinux -s component1.xml --\
-ORBInitRef NameService=IOR:123456

this command create a Component1.ior with the identification of this
component.

trough this file is possible to use the component and connect with
others trough an orocos script
as explained on section 2.6 of "The Deployment Component" manual.

I hope that I didn't write bullshits :)
Fabrizio

On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 12:00 +0200, Fabrizio Boriero wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to understand how to use omniORB to use the .ops scripts...
>
> I have a server (also DNS), called "caronte", where I lunched
> "/etc/init.d/omniorb4-nameserver start"
>
> On a client, I made a file like:
>
> --------testPhantomCorba.ops----------
>
> import("sensPhantom")
> loadComponent("SensPhantom","SensPhantom")
> loadComponent("SensPhantom.ior","IORFile")
> loadComponent("IOR:.....", "IOR")
>
> following some documentation but:
>
> 1.What I need to put into .ior file?
> 2.Where I can find this IOR?
> 3.what's the correct command line? (deployer-corba-gnulinux -s
> testPhantomCorba.ops?)
>
> Thanks,
> Fabrizio

Orocos-Users Digest, Vol 48, Issue 8

On Thursday 05 May 2011 15:30:02 Fabrizio wrote:
> Ok, after hours I found by myself the way...
>
> --Configure OmiORB4 ---
>
> On a LAN network is necessary to configure the machine.
> Ex.
>
> HostName
>
> server1 (DNS server)
> client1
> cllent2
>
> On /etc/omniORB4.cfg of every machine search the "Client Configuration"
> section and put the line:
>
> InitRef = NameService=corbaname::server1
>
> Now, on server, do:
>
> /etc/init.d/omniorb4-nameserver start (o restart)
>
> the IOR of nameserver is possible to found in
> /var/log/omniorb4-nameserver.log

Normally, it is found automatically and you don't need to look at this log
file...

>
> is very long but for the example we say:
>
> IOR:123456
>
> --Corba deployment--
> Now is possible to create a component1.xml which look like:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <!DOCTYPE properties SYSTEM "cpf.dtd">
> <properties>
> <struct name="Component1" type="TaskContext">
> <simple name="Server" type="boolean"><value>1</value></simple>
> <simple name="UseNamingService"
> type="boolean"><value>1</value></simple>
> </struct>
> </properties>
>
> and launch it with:
>
> cdeployer-gnulinux -s component1.xml --\
> -ORBInitRef NameService=IOR:123456

See also
http://www.orocos.org/wiki/rtt/frequently-asked-questions-faq/using-corba

for configuring the naming service and finding it with the cdeployer...

>
> this command create a Component1.ior with the identification of this
> component.

This .ior file is optional, in case naming does not work.

>
> trough this file is possible to use the component and connect with
> others trough an orocos script
> as explained on section 2.6 of "The Deployment Component" manual.
>
> I hope that I didn't write bullshits :)

Well, it should be easier than you propose.

Once the cdeployer created the component, and it uses the naming service,
you can see that component in another cdeployer by writing:

createComponent("Component1","CORBA")

I think we should have made the naming service not optional, but used by
default, and only allow the IOR route as an 'emergency'. Other users have
reported that they even want to abort the cdeployer if the naming is not
found, there is a command line flag for that.

Peter

OmniOrb and Orocos script language

On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 15:52 +0200, Peter Soetens wrote:
> On Thursday 05 May 2011 15:30:02 Fabrizio wrote:
> > Ok, after hours I found by myself the way...
> >
> > --Configure OmiORB4 ---
> >
> > On a LAN network is necessary to configure the machine.
> > Ex.
> >
> > HostName
> >
> > server1 (DNS server)
> > client1
> > cllent2
> >
> > On /etc/omniORB4.cfg of every machine search the "Client Configuration"
> > section and put the line:
> >
> > InitRef = NameService=corbaname::server1
> >
> > Now, on server, do:
> >
> > /etc/init.d/omniorb4-nameserver start (o restart)
> >
> > the IOR of nameserver is possible to found in
> > /var/log/omniorb4-nameserver.log
>
> Normally, it is found automatically and you don't need to look at this log
> file...
>
> >
> > is very long but for the example we say:
> >
> > IOR:123456
> >
> > --Corba deployment--
> > Now is possible to create a component1.xml which look like:
> >
> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> > <!DOCTYPE properties SYSTEM "cpf.dtd">
> > <properties>
> > <struct name="Component1" type="TaskContext">
> > <simple name="Server" type="boolean"><value>1</value></simple>
> > <simple name="UseNamingService"
> > type="boolean"><value>1</value></simple>
> > </struct>
> > </properties>
> >
> > and launch it with:
> >
> > cdeployer-gnulinux -s component1.xml --\
> > -ORBInitRef NameService=IOR:123456
>
> See also
> http://www.orocos.org/wiki/rtt/frequently-asked-questions-faq/using-corba
>
> for configuring the naming service and finding it with the cdeployer...

I didn't see it, thanks...

> >
> > this command create a Component1.ior with the identification of this
> > component.
>
> This .ior file is optional, in case naming does not work.
>
> >
> > trough this file is possible to use the component and connect with
> > others trough an orocos script
> > as explained on section 2.6 of "The Deployment Component" manual.
> >
> > I hope that I didn't write bullshits :)
>
> Well, it should be easier than you propose.
>
> Once the cdeployer created the component, and it uses the naming service,
> you can see that component in another cdeployer by writing:
>
> createComponent("Component1","CORBA")
>
> I think we should have made the naming service not optional, but used by
> default, and only allow the IOR route as an 'emergency'. Other users have
> reported that they even want to abort the cdeployer if the naming is not
> found, there is a command line flag for that.

Great!
You made a very good work!

Thanks a lot,
Fabrizio

> Peter
>

OmniOrb and Orocos script language

On May 5, 2011, at 10:25 , Fabrizio wrote:

> On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 15:52 +0200, Peter Soetens wrote:
>> On Thursday 05 May 2011 15:30:02 Fabrizio wrote:
>>> Ok, after hours I found by myself the way...
>>>
>>> --Configure OmiORB4 ---
>>>
>>> On a LAN network is necessary to configure the machine.
>>> Ex.
>>>
>>> HostName
>>>
>>> server1 (DNS server)
>>> client1
>>> cllent2
>>>
>>> On /etc/omniORB4.cfg of every machine search the "Client Configuration"
>>> section and put the line:
>>>
>>> InitRef = NameService=corbaname::server1
>>>
>>> Now, on server, do:
>>>
>>> /etc/init.d/omniorb4-nameserver start (o restart)
>>>
>>> the IOR of nameserver is possible to found in
>>> /var/log/omniorb4-nameserver.log
>>
>> Normally, it is found automatically and you don't need to look at this log
>> file...
>>
>>>
>>> is very long but for the example we say:
>>>
>>> IOR:123456
>>>
>>> --Corba deployment--
>>> Now is possible to create a component1.xml which look like:
>>>
>>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>>> <!DOCTYPE properties SYSTEM "cpf.dtd">
>>> <properties>
>>> <struct name="Component1" type="TaskContext">
>>> <simple name="Server" type="boolean"><value>1</value></simple>
>>> <simple name="UseNamingService"
>>> type="boolean"><value>1</value></simple>
>>> </struct>
>>> </properties>
>>>
>>> and launch it with:
>>>
>>> cdeployer-gnulinux -s component1.xml --\
>>> -ORBInitRef NameService=IOR:123456
>>
>> See also
>> http://www.orocos.org/wiki/rtt/frequently-asked-questions-faq/using-corba
>>
>> for configuring the naming service and finding it with the cdeployer...
>
> I didn't see it, thanks...

We need to make this FAQ more prominent, as it keeps coming up ... I'll have a look over the weekend at linking it higher up (or more prominently) on the toolchain page.

>>> this command create a Component1.ior with the identification of this
>>> component.
>>
>> This .ior file is optional, in case naming does not work.
>>
>>>
>>> trough this file is possible to use the component and connect with
>>> others trough an orocos script
>>> as explained on section 2.6 of "The Deployment Component" manual.
>>>
>>> I hope that I didn't write bullshits :)
>>
>> Well, it should be easier than you propose.
>>
>> Once the cdeployer created the component, and it uses the naming service,
>> you can see that component in another cdeployer by writing:
>>
>> createComponent("Component1","CORBA")
>>
>> I think we should have made the naming service not optional, but used by
>> default, and only allow the IOR route as an 'emergency'. Other users have
>> reported that they even want to abort the cdeployer if the naming is not
>> found, there is a command line flag for that.

We use this flag all the time, essentially making our system "naming service not optional" always.
S