Why to use KDL?
- Extensive support for :
- Geometric primitives: point, frame, twist ...
- Kinematic Trees: chain and tree structures. In literature, multiple definitions exist for a kinematic structure: a chain as the equivalent for all types of kinematic structures (chain, tree, graph) or chain as the serial version of a kinematic structure. KDL uses the last, or using graph-theory terminology:
- A closed-loop mechanism is a graph,
- an open-loop mechanism is a tree, and
- an unbranched tree is a chain.
- Next to kinematics, also parameters for dynamics are included (inertia...)
- Realtime-safe operations/functions whenever relevant: they do not lead to dynamic memory allocations and all of them are deterministic in time.
- Typekits and transport-kits for Orocos/RTT