Migrating to Drupal 6
Table of Contents
Drupal 5 Status
ModulesBelow is a list of all modules currently installed and their support in releases 6 and 7 of Drupal. We don't necesserily need all these modules after the migration.
Mark must-haves with an 'M'.
M? 6.x 7.x Module M x - adsense M x - advuser M x x captcha M x - captcha_pack x x cck M x - comment_upload x x contemplate M x x diff M (x) - drutex M x - filterbynodetype M x - freelinking M x x geshifilter M x x image M x x imagepicker M x - img_assist x - import_html M x - listhandler M x - mailhandler M x - mailman_manager M (x) - mailsave - - mathfilter M x x pathauto M x x path_redirect M (x) - pearwiki_filter M x x quote M x - spam M x x spamspan M x - tableofcontents M x - talk M x - taxonomy_breadcrumb M x c/x token M x - user_mailman_register M c c user_status M x x views - - wiki M x - wikitools M : must-have - : not present c : present as core feature x : module released(x) : released but unmaintained
Newly found:x - Emailfilter - for listhandler x - JsMath - latex render in browser instead of on-server
Drupal 6 Migration Procedure
- copy 5.x database to 6.x test-database 'drupal_orocos_testing'
- copy 5.x website to 6.x test-site 'test'
- rename settings.php to point to new database and fill in the url_base !!!
- Go to 'test' site and select default themes & disable all modules
- Install Drupal 6.x and remove 5.x copy. Keep settings.php for reference.
- Symlink drupal5 's files to drupal6's files (avoid copy on server due to quota)
- Install plugin manager and administration menu
- Disable pulling forum posts from orocos mailing list, such that original 5.x site does not loose content.
- Upgrade core
- enable & upgrade modules
- apply patches from the drupal 5.x branch on the drupal6 branch. See https://github.com/psoetens/orocos-www
- Upgrade the Drupal theme, according to http://drupal.org/node/132442#signature
- Copy the existing orocos theme into the new drupal installation (sites/all/themes)
- Check results and themes. Special attention checklist:
- Media wiki layout on wiki pages
- Drutex on KDL pages (formulas)
- forum posts, quoting of parent post must work 'recursively'
- Major content pages : front, toolchain, kdl, rtt,...
- table of contents on wiki pages
- Syntax highlighting
- Mailing list pulling and posting
- This may require a test forum setup such that the original 5.x site is not influenced
- Do not enable retrieval of the original orocos-dev/orocos-users !
MigratingIf this works:
- Log in as use 1 and shut down 5.x site (maintenance mode)
- Maybe we should set a redirect in our .htaccess that doesn't rely on any file currently on the server.
- copy 5.x database again to 'drupal_orocos_backup' have backup of latest changes
- copy 5.x website on-server to 'www2.orocos.org' have backup of latest status
- Edit settings.php of that site to use 'drupal_orocos_backup' DB and url_base of www2.
- Log in as user 1 on www.orocos.org
- select default themes & disable all modules
- Log in as user 1 on 'test' site
- Edit Drupal 6.x 'test' site to use 5.x database 'drupal_orocos' (settings.php)
- Do upgrade of database & modules as above
- When all works, remove 5.x files on 'www' and copy-over 6.x files from 'test'.
- Leave maintenance mode
Plan BIf the final upgrade fails (it shouldn't, you tested it!), We can:
- Redirect to 'www2' from 'www' (.htaccess)
- Disable maintenance mode on www2
- Keep playing on the 'test' site until 'it works' (test is working on 'drupal_orocos' DB) and copy over any files to 'www'
- Put 'www2' in maintenance and remove the redirect again.
Plan CWe don't want this ever to happen:
- Remove all files from 'www' and copy all files from 'www2'
- Drop 'drupal_orocos' DB (or rename it for later reference)
- Copy 'drupal_orocos_backup' to 'drupal_orocos'
- Modify settings.php to contain correct DB and url_base